Friday, January 8, 2010

An inordinary love of bacon

I love bacon... not the turkey, fake, or precooked kind... real honest to goodness thick sliced, honey smoked bacon...it's one of the simplest meats, yet it is so very versatile and really much better tasting than it is for you... but all that 'bad' stuff about bacon aside... I just love it, and I love to cook with it all the flavor it imparts... amazing! 
Some of the items in my 'bacon' cook book include some things I'll be sharing with you in the near future:

  • Magimom's Tons of Tater's Potato Soup
  • Green beans 'n bacon
  • Green bean casserole
  • Bacon wrapped shrimp
  • Garlic stuffed pork roast
Yep, I use a lot of bacon in my kitchen, and definitely not just for breakfast. But...do your heart a favor, as I have for my loved ones -- use the best cut of bacon you can afford, and make sure that you always, always drain the fat. Try to make sure that you get a really meaty (pink) cut of bacon instead of a really fatty one -- you can tell, if the marble is more than 30% white, there is way too much fat, try a better cut, or better yet, find a butcher (rare I know) that will cut some to your specifications... out of the way country grocery stores are best for finding this kind of thing... and the more rural the better in some cases -- our local store not only cuts its own meat, but most of it is local, farm-raised and butchered... it's good stuff -- and really fresh! 
Don't scrimp on your bacon, it's not good for you... and the flavor isn't always the best either. 





From the kitchen of a mom, with lots of love!
Magimom

No comments:

Post a Comment