Saturday, January 9, 2010

Of cakes and kitties....



I have a true and very deep love for ornately decorated cakes... you know the ones, you see them all the time on food network, even TLC has "Cake Boss" and Duff... who can forget Duff and his amazing work... Now, I took my fair share of Wilton classes back in the day, and I've made a few cakes from time to time... so I wasn't at at total loss when my daughter decided she wanted this: 



to be her birthday cake this year... My first thought was to run screaming from the house, never to be heard from again, but then I changed my mind, and got to work... planning how this would go... and wondering how in a house with two teenage boys, two men, three cats and four dogs this cake would make it from baked to beautiful... in three days. 
What we had my friends was a recipe for disaster... 
It all started out really well -- see, here's my stuff: 

Look! Even little shoe forms! I was prepared I'm telling you! :)






so, we get down to brass tacks and see what we come up with... 

A shoe, coming right along!!!
They really did turn out beautifully, really.


It's a purse! a little tiny purse...



two towers and the mid section down... and I went to bed...everything stored nicely in boxes on the counter... 
I didn't count on cats... no I sure didn't...


And when I got up the next morning... all my work was ruined... 
Shoes crushed to oblivion, cake smashed in on itself... it was horrible.... I cried -- really sat and cried. 
but it didn't turn out too bad -- 

You can even see a little of how it was smashed in if you look close enough - no accounting for the behavior of cats...
but my daughter was happy:

In the end... that's all that really matters :)


From the kitchen of a mom, with lots of love!
Magimom

No comments:

Post a Comment